Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mystery solved

Since about 4 months ago or around the time I replaced my stock brake lines I've been noticing very slow reduction in the brake fluid level.

I brought this observation up whenever I visited my tuner SEEKER and had the guys check brake lines for leaks as well as the master cylinder for any problems but we couldn't figure out where the fluid was going.

You may also remember my near wall experience at Tsukuba when my brakes just seized for no reason and again we assumed the low fluid level was due to the pads wearing off. There was also uneven brake pad wear and under braking I felt a difference in the force applied to each side of the car.

Well I had the BREMBO calipers inspected the other day just in case and lo and behold the rubber seals around my 4 pot cylinders in each of the front calipers were broken and slowly leaking brake fluid ! I guess that can be expected from all the racing I've been doing and the sort of heat produced during braking so it was both a relief to know what the cause was but at the same a nightmare as it's going to cost me money to have the calipers OVERHAULED!

Anyway, the car is going in to HONDA tomorrow until saturday and will come back with completely overhauled BREMBOs! The cost you ask ? 28,500 yen

See you on the track !

2 comments:

  1. ummm why would you send your car back to the dealer for brakes? your telling me you do all this racing and media but can't overhaul front brakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no sufficient tools, parts, equipment to do something so delicate as caliper overhaul

    ReplyDelete