Saturday, June 5, 2010

Should have paid !

I decided to save a few bucks (or yen rather) and install the Mugen intake by myself. From what I thought would be a simple 1-2 hr job turned out to be a 4 hour uphill battle.

Making use of my neighbour's parking bay


Removed the battery.
Damn that thing was heavy !


OEM airbox came out without any issues.


Started with the bottom piece of the Mugen intake.
Getting the 3 damping bushes out from the OEM box was a pain the ass ! Had I read the instructions I probably could have saved a lot of time here !


Mugen filter went in (or rather K&N badged as Mugen)


Putting the top cover on was where it all went south !
Bloody thing wasn't the best fit. I was surprised that I needed to mess around so much with the bolts to make the whole thing fit ! The top cover isn't perfectly aligned nonetheless.


At the end of it battery went back in !


There was a sticker in the package so on it went also !


I decided to cut a hole in the front bumper to enable better air flow.
It now resembles the Mugen front bumper and at no cost !


I also cut off the rubber seal under the bonnet right in the area above the hole


A shot from underneath shows the opening


Anyway, it's done but next time I am paying someone else to sweat over it !

Took it for a test drive.
Everything seems to be ok. Traffic in the area was heavy so couldn't really rev too high. Will try it later tonight again to see how it goes.

Heat reflective sheets will go on tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. yup, tell me about aligning the cover on, did it myself too (well with a friend)! good idea with the hole cut, may do that in the future. i see that they've changed the style of the sticker.

    let us know how you feel with the new box on your next track day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though the cover is aligned and you tighten all the bolts, the top cover still doesn't perfectly touch the surface of the bottom part. One reason is the way it was made, the top part isn't perfectly flat but more at an angle...makes me think it's inferior somehow...

    Took for a long and fast drive on Wangan (Tokyo's #1 high speed highway) and it felt great. It feelt slightly less torquey but much better in mid-high rev range though. The noise was minimal also which was a bonus !

    ReplyDelete
  3. man you kept your engine bay very clean! I wish mine look something close to yours :(

    I was going to recommend a 5zigen intake scope, which would work best to draw in cold air to the mugen box. But, was found that it has be discontinued. I do have a brand new one on hand if you are ever interested. Hand built by 5zigen proRacer team. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The air is fairly clean here in Japan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you need the stock "tube" to connect the airbox to the engine? I was thinking about a Mugen box and have an Injen in my car (which came with it) so I lack any stock parts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's right
    you need the tube leading from the mugen box as well as its sensor.
    you can buy those at yahoo auctions or directly from your Honda dealer

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I remember correctly, I had to cut the tube slightly shorter to fit the mugen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey dude does the intake have any top end gains? does it pull harder through vtec?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't compared it on a dyno against the original intake so

    ReplyDelete