Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fun in the wet ...

A few days ago I went to Tsukuba 1000 with the guys from SEEKER to attend my 2nd NOSTALGIA time attack event for the year.

The weather sucked !!! It was humid, hot and raining ! It felt as though there was a typhoon about to pass over ! I got completely drenched getting the car ready but didn't let that discourage me from trying out a few hot laps (or wet laps rather)



After passing an RX-7 shown in the video above and still on my warm-up lap I was on my way towards the same corner as where the RX-7 had lost it and there it happened ! My rear lost grip and started to slide outwards at which point I tried to recover but it was too late! The car had its own mind at that point and went into a 180degree spin aiming straight for the wall. I hit my brakes and locked the steering wheel in one position watching the wall come closer and closer ! The car finally stopped ! I was about half a meter from the wall, facing 3 cars doing at least 70km/h hoping that they saw me and try to avoid me in such a way so as not to go into a spin themselves! I waited for them to pass and I got back on the track. From then on that corner made me super cautious !

It was a very interesting feeling to spin out. I came close many times around various circuits but managed to recover by countersteering except this time when I just had no control. It all happened so quickly and there was very little I could do. Nevertheless it was a great experience and hopefully one which will make me a better driver ! Too bad my in-car camera cut out and I wasn't able to play this back later. Oh well !

No comments:

Post a Comment