Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mugen (無限) N1 ECU !

I had an appointment with the guys at SEEKER this morning to increase the camber on my front wheels. This is mainly in preparation for the new RAYS wheels which are yet to arrive. but also because I have two Tsukuba circuit sessions coming up next week.

As I was talking with the manager Ryo, somehow we started talking about a Mugen N1 ECU which is available for sale (for a DC5) only if your car meets the HOA (Honda One-Make-Race Association) regulations or you're able to buy it second-hand from someone else (keep checking those yahoo auctions!). Anyway Ryo happened to have the ECU in his shop as one of his race cars is a DC5 and so we ended up having an interesting chat !

Why am I writing about this ? Well, I've seen hundreds of posts around different DC5 forums talking about people wanting to buy and install these ECUs for street use and it really boggles my mind how un-educated and down right wasteful such attempts are. People concentrate on the plug-n-play aspect of this ECU but don't try to think about what it really is they're getting by running such an ECU.

Let me explain ...

First of all, it is a RACE only ECU ! It is such by design and by regulations here in Japan where it comes from. Secondly, this ECU is meant for N1 production races therefore there are certain regulations regarding modifications needed to supplement such an ECU. This means this ECU is effective ONLY when you have the following modifications in place :

a) Upgraded cooling system
(yes you need to be able to cool your engine beyond what the stock radiator is capable of otherwise the higher air/fuel mixture characteristics will go to waste and the engine overheats and causes unwanted side-effects like pinging/knocking)

b) Upgraded spark plugs
(you heard it right ! With the increase in air/fuel mixture ratio comes greater heat and therefore your spark plugs need to be able to handle higher temperatures and be able to dissipate that heat well! Try NGK spark plugs with 8, 9 or 10 heat characteristics)

c) Upgraded exhaust system
(Preferably Mugen's N1 catback system but others will do)

d) Upgraded valve springs
(As recommended by Mugen themselves for longivity and durability. Don't ignore this point!)

e) Run on 100 octane fuel
(which as far as I known is not available outside of Japan. Yes you can use lower octane with a booster or otherwise expect pinging or knocking)

This ECU will lower the VTEC engagement point, it will rev higher and give you more power but it will also consume more fuel, idle higher and disable your air-conditioner. It is a purpose built ECU and should be consumed as such, but it makes your car POWERFUL and it is definitely NOTICABLE (I am talking from experience here :) )!

So if you're thinking of getting one, think about what I wrote and make sure you have a clear purpose which is not STREET driving ! If you do buy it, make sure you keep your stock ECU and use it whenever you're not on a track or circuit or doing any competition. When you're about to go to a track or circuit, simply unplug the stock ECU and plug-in the Mugen ECU (go back and read this last sentence again !).

As always feel free to email me if you have question or reach out to the guys at SEEKER who are more than happy to assist with any Honda related queries

26 comments:

  1. Hi Rod, this is my first time commenting at your blog although I'd followed your blog few months already. I'm driving a DC5 in Malaysia and had became a diehard fan of the car.

    On the Mugen ECU, I know there are a few types and some is usable on the road. Is it still easily available in Japan? Here in Malaysia is quite rare..only a few got it. I've tried a race car DC5 with Mugen ECU but not the N1 type, if i'm not mistaken the rev cut at 8600rpm...I'm interested with this one as it's suitable for light mod application. I would really appreciate it if you can get info on this. My email faroukshah77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mugen company still sells the N1 ECU (non-HOA) which can be used on roads. The restriction only applies to Japan though and not outside of Japan.
    Best to contact Mugen directly and ask them for a quote for export to Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx Rod. By the way, I just bought a Mugen N1 ECU from someone here for a good price. I'll take your advise on the supplementary items. Yes..I'll try not using it for street as my DC5 is set-up handlingwise for track. So for street I can't drive fast taking considerations our uneven road surface. Well, I haven't try it on track coz need to do some preparation for my car for Time Attack this coming July at Sepang Circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to add, I've been running on stock ECU on track for quite some time and in some corners with the 6k rpm shift point, I lost 0.5 or even 1 second at corner exit because I was not on high cam. There are three corners at Sepang that I'm not on high cam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one !
    By the way Sepang Circuit is awesome judging by the many videos floating on youtube ! Would love to try that circuit one time !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mate

    Just a quick one, I got myself a Mugen hoa ecu on my stock dc5r, but for some reason the engine light came on and stay on, not too sure why? As I put the OEM back on and light gone off...

    Thanks

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. is your car JDM ? if so there shouldn't be any problems unless the ECU is faulty. If the car isn't JDM it's probably a harness and wiring issue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reply, I have the DC5R from japan, the owner I got it from he said had an issue with the 1st O2 sensor, had the engine light on with the OEM ECU, but I have also contracted an owner before him, he said have no light/ issue went equip with Mugen, was thinking the error code may have pass and store within the ecu and need a Code reader to clear it.

    There are no light with the oem ecu, and tested number of times, been driving it for a few day with mugen, not had an issue, only thing was the idle speed gone up to 1k, is this correct? Also done a DTC reading, the code came back as 1515, been talking to Mugen japan and uk for the pass few days, no joy, have any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ECU code can be reset with a simple battery disconnection for a period of time. of course it will keep comin back for as long as a sensor is faulty.

    yes idle speed goes up a bit. it's normal and so will your fuel consumption and you will smell richer fumes from the exhaust. nothing to worry about.

    no idea about that specific code though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reply, got a code reader run some test on the oem and the Mugen HOA, no error code on the Mugen and went the OEM ECU also plug in, no code was found and all sensors was read within rage, so the Teg are all good, just the ecu, I do have few more question, I hope you can help;

    1. Could the light be on due to an after Market ecu are fitted?
    2. Could the light be on due to an OEM cat are still on the car?
    3. Faulty ECU? (Car running fine, only thing was the MPG was drop about 25%)

    Mugen N1 & HOA, I am sure just the rev limited are different, Map are the same, but could the programing are different? HOA is more like a street version? I am running out of idea

    Regards

    CJ :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. CJ

    It's very difficult to diagnose something like this for me. It's best that you take the car to a honda knowledgable mechanic who deals with aftermarket tuning.

    Re: #1: Nope. I don't get it on mine
    Re: #2: I doubt it
    Re: #3: Fuel consumption will be higher with the Mugen ECU as expected

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rod, can you do me a favour have look at your unit number for me, the unit number under the 12 digit part number, my one are start with MG00XXX, from the pictures I found online, there are a few different unit number, some start MG, MTC and other too, do you know what they mean?

    On the other hand, Im not been to Honda yet, going to check all the wiring first and try to find few other DC5 to run some tests with the Mugen, I hope is something very simple, before I go to Honda to pay to read a code but there are no error after all, could it be reading something shouldn't be reading?

    I don't know

    Regards

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello, i was thinking about getting this ecu for my fd2. what is soo great about this ecu that it is meant to be used on track only and not the streets? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. does this ecu come in the mugen rr? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, MUGEN RR FD2 comes with its own MUGEN ECU included in the package.

    2ndly I don't know whether MUGEN has produced an aftermarket ECU for the FD2 so I can't really comment however if they have it's likely to come in 2 forms : 1st as a HOA ECU and 2nd as an N1 ECU.
    They can be used on the streets however your car will drink petrol like there is no tomorrow. Fuel map is that for racing only where fuel economy goes out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  16. does the HOA ECU make the car go alot faster? and what can you do with the ecu? tuning wise thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. better acceleration due to am earlier VTEC point so therefore higher average speed.
    can't be tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey,

    i was looking into buying a Used Mugen HOA ECU, but somehow there are 2 kinds.

    9200rpm redline and 8600rpm redline.

    im not really sure if the HOA ECU will disable Air Conditioning.

    Thanks,
    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it disables the aircon but it shouldn't matter since the HOA ECU is NOT supposed to be used on every day roads i.e. fuel economy will eat your wallet alive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there. My name is rumesh and i would like to an answer to something that iu have been looking for days.
    There is a drag race (400m) happening in my country (Sri Lanka)
    my friend has a FD2 Mugen RR. the 293rd car of the 300 produced.
    We want to get the car running faster than it is so we decicded to go for a J's racing 5.5 ration final drive kit and a Toda Racing lightweight flywheel.
    as for the ECu we cant seem to find any that would get the car to gain some power.
    the mugen RR has different camshafts to the civic type R.
    so could u please email me and let me know what is the ECU (pre programmed) we should get and where and how much it would be.
    I would very much appreciate your reply. please mail me on rrumesh@hotmail.com
    Thanks and best regards

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi

    not sure if its still ok to ask, but i can't find a solid opinion regarding this intended modification i'm considering..

    sadly, i drove a base DC5 (money problems initially xD) and i was wondering what are the feasibility vs possibility of swapping the entire exhaust system to a stock DC5R???

    i mean would a DC5R header to muffler outperform a DC5 stock with aftermarket catback?? considering changing the entire engine block nor force induction is allowed in where i live ..

    perhaps you have other better more practical suggestions?

    Thanks alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi all, I read all the posts from top to bottom and decided to post a replay and it may help some people who is interested in Mugen ECU. I had mugen N1(5250-9200rpm) on my Stock DC5R (only AEM cold air intake)

    1. The Air condition is working with this ECU
    2. I tested the Stock ecu over N1 ecu on fuel economy (100ron) and guess what? Mugen is more economical (everyday driving with some vtecs)
    3. I never had any issue with engine light on or something. Plug and play easy power gain! just dont rev over 8600rpm if u dont have upgraded valve springs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These two different Mugen Ecu's have different part numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi guys. Can anyone of you be kind enough to email me at nicklim208@hotmail.com regarding the Mugen N1 ECU? I am keen on getting one but no idea where i can get it from. I tried contacting distributor for Mugen in Singapore and they told me that i can't buy that ECU unless I am using it for races, which i need to submit documents on the races i will be taking part in. But i only wanna use it for my track sessions.

    Please kindly email me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want to buy mugen ecu for my dc5 type r please if anyone sell it I am interesting!!
    I am from Cyprus!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi this maybe too late to ask, not sure if anyone checks this thread but hopefully someone can answer. Would you or anyone know the specs of the Mugen HOA ECU for the Civic FD2 Type R?

    ReplyDelete