Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Much cooler now - Part 2 !

So how did the KOYO radiator rate on a Formula 1 class circuit ?

Before I answer this question, here is some background of what 'used to' happen...

Fuji Speedway on a day of about 25°C is what I consider a warm-to-hot track day especially if it is a clear sky kinda day. Water temperature during time attack would be usually around 95°C whilst the oil temperature would constantly exceed the 'safe' limit of 130°C. It was virtually impossible to do more than 2-3 hot laps without exceeding 130°C ! It was a real pain in the as%!

Which brings me to what the situation is like 'now', with the new radiator.

Firstly, water temperature never exceeds 85°C !! In fact 75°C-80°Cs is the norm! That's a 10°C improvement (!!) and right in the sweet spot of what this K20A engine likes (there is a small downside to this though...a cooling fan starts kicking in from 80°C and so this also means a little more power drain right when you're trying to push for the best lap)

Moving on to oil temperatures! I have a warning set at 128°C (I use MOTUL 300V oil, other oils would obviously have a much lower limit) which buzzes like silly when I exceed this temperature. Really annoying ! Needles to say, now I don't hear the buzz anymore ! In fact temperature only gets as high as 125°C or below ! Who needs an oil cooler right !?

I am absolutely stoked about this and I can finally have 5+ constant hot laps without needing to worry about oil or water overheating and all that on a warm-to-hot summer day ! I can only imagine how much lower the oil temps will be in the midst of winter (when it really counts !)

Do yourself a favour ! Upgrade your radiator if you track your car ! No buts about it !

Big thanks to Ryo from SEEKER for his valuable advice and attention to this car ! He really sets high standards for service in this tuning industry !

Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment