Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fuji International Speedway (FSW) April 1st 2009

Today I went to my 4th ever practice session at Fuji.

When I woke up the weather wasn't looking too good, it was raining and it didn't look like it was going to clear up any time soon, but since it'd been a while since my last practice I decided to go anyway and if it rained i'd just practice a few small things as opposed to trying to get a better personal best.

When I arrived at Fuji, the weather was ok. It was overcast but it didn't rain and the track was a little damp but drying up slowly.

I ran the 9:20am session and it was great ! There were only 3 (!!) cars plus mine and everyone had plenty of space to do their practice. I kept beating my personal best pretty much incrementally and consisently between laps 6th and 11th and for this run I ended up with a time of 2'14''20 !! That's an improvement of over 5 seconds and that just made my day !

I have to attribute this to a couple of things :
- less traffic
- more fine tuned tyre pressures
- improved braking (i found the limit a few times and now I know)
- improved cornering (no more tunnel vision for me)

I'm however very disappointed with my heel-toeing and i am going to continue practicing this until i get it right. Especially the end of the main straight, for some reason I don't have enough time to do 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd in time for my turn-in. This is very frustrating :(

This video shows 2 of my best (and last) laps from the 1st run of this session (times were 2'14''23 and 2'14''20 respectively)



After logging the details of the 1st session I was ready for the next. I ran the 10:40am one and everything was pretty much the same as before except the session was cut short as a Porsche blew its engine and spat oil all over the track.

I beat my personal best yet again but this time it was only marginally (2'14''16). I managed to also hit a maximum speed of 211km/h which was the 1st for me.

Here is a video of the 2nd run of this session with some mishaps. Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment